The Kellybab (Chicken Kebab)
- 2 kg Chicken thighs Skinless & boneless
- 3 tbsp Tomato puree
- 4 Garlic cloves Minced
- 2 Lemons Zest & juice of
- 2 tsp Onion granules
- 2 tsp Cumin Ground
- 1/2 tsp Allspice Ground
- 1 tbsp Thyme Finely chopped
- 3 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- 8 tbsp Olive oil Marinade
- Set up your BBQ either with a rotisserie attachment or for indirect cooking using a meat stand at 190˚C - 200˚C.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together really well. Don’t worry about the amount of oil. Its purely there for marinating purposes.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken thighs and mix everything together thoroughly. You want every bit of chicken smothered in the paste.
- Leave to marinade for at least a couple of hours, overnight is best.
- If you have a rotisserie, take one fork & hold the bar vertically. Thread the chicken on from the top,When all the chicken has been threaded on, slide on the second fork and make sure both are tightened up snugly against the chicken.
- Now place the chicken on the rotisserie and cook with the lid on the BBQ, until the internal temperature reaches 74˚C (Approx 1.5-2 hours)
- If you’re not using a rotisserie, you’ll need 6 large metal skewers.Take 3 of the skewers and lay them side by side. Thread your chicken onto the skewers so that you have one central skewer and one either side.When all the meat is threaded on, insert the remaining skewers from the opposite end, securing everything together.
- Set the meat on the BBQ and put the lid on. Turn every 20 minutes or so until you achieve the correct internal temperature. You can finish it off over the coals if you wish.
- This is my preferred option as I'm lacking a rotisserie that will fit at the moment and it's nice and simple.Take your chicken and slide it onto the spike piece by piece.Rotate & lay each piece to keep it as even as possible.Stick half an onion on the top of the spike.
- Place the chicken onto your BBQ and cook at 190˚C - 200˚C until you reach an internal temp of 74˚C (Approx 2.5 hours)
- Slice thin straight from the spit/stack.
- Serve into pitta/naan bread with whatever salads & sauces you'd like, goes great with chili & garlic sauce.